Friday, July 26, 2013

It's A Love-Hate Thing...

Hey ladies!  Today I'm going to share a story with you that I wrote a long time ago, even before I actually published my first post to this blog.  Some of you may have already seen and read this story if you were around way back when.  My intent isn't to offend anyone, or make light of what you are about to read, but this is my story and by sharing this post I'm hoping it's going to provide all of you with a little insight to where I've been and where I started...

Food and I have never really been great friends. We loved each other when I was little, but once middle school hit and people started paying attention to whether you had a 1, 3, or 5 on the tag of your Z Cavaricci jorts...well, it's all been downhill from there!

Middle school wasn't too bad as far as how much I fought with food, but I do remember this is when I stopped eating lunch (and I have never eaten breakfast, like ever). Instead of sitting on the cold, hard, tile floor in the commons area waiting to be ushered into the cafeteria, like a herd of hungry cattle - if you didn't eat lunch you just got to go to the "square" and hang out. Oh the square, this is where all the "cool" kids hung out and where only said cool kids got to sit (sounds so pathetic now, but it was a HUGE deal then). So, at 12 years old I was not eating breakfast and not eating lunch - this is where the metabolism started to take a nose dive and I didn't even know what metabolism was!

High school hit my waistline hard and for one PRIMARY reason...a little thing called - OPEN LUNCH! Yup, we had open lunch at our HS which meant we left the school parking lot in a mad dash to the "restaurant of the day" (choices: Sonic, McDonalds - my personal fave!, Taco Johns - a close second!, Pizza Hut, Burger King, Subway) and gobbled down your food faster than you could get back to the school parking lot!

The secondary reason, BOYS!  They also totally had an effect on what my scale read (men). If you were a single girl you were a skinny girl; if you were a girlfriend you were a chunky monkey! At least that's my experience. Sophomore year I was a monkey, but after that ended my junior year I lost some weight., weight that I hadn't even noticed I'd gained - the things LOVE do to a girl.  At first I think it was attributed to the sadness, depression, feeling sick to your stomach first love diet. But it was almost like people started noticing that I was losing weight and I liked that attention - this is where things got ugly, but I got HOT! Haha!  Ok, it's actually not funny...Eek!

I can totally admit my illness now, I was a full blown anorexic. I would go days without eating then eat one meal and then another 3-4 days without eating, then one meal. This vicious cycle went on until I graduated high school weighing 98 pounds (I'm 5'4" on a good day). Sure I was super skinny, but my hair looked dull and fell out in clumps, my skin was horrible, I would get light-headed standing up, I constantly had muscle cramps from dehydration, I would wake up CRAVING water in the middle of the night, it was horrible BUT I never thought a thing about it - other than I was SKINNY!

After graduation came JUCO and NEW BOYS! Baseball boys! And I was cheerleading. Sounds ridiculous, but we were a co-ed squad and we partner stunted and in order to cheer at games you had to weigh less than 115 pounds tops or you rode the bench like a little FAT pig. I imagined it to be as if you had a sign attached to your fat ASS that read Oink Oink! I did really well through my freshman year and didn't gain the traditional Freshman 15, but the summer after that year - things started to FILL OUT...literally.

When I started my second year at JUCO I weighted 128 pounds, not good! I managed to drop some pounds and made it through basketball season not having to bare the Oink Oink sign! It seemed like after season though the pounds were like magnets to my body! I think I got up into the mid 130's and to most people I looked fine and I think I was "ok" with the way I looked for the most part. Until one day I saw a guy I hadn't seen in a couple years and he commented, "Oh, look at you! Got a little meat on your bones now!" I actually think he meant it as a compliment, but I did NOT take it that way.

I moved to Pitt and was a healthy size 6! I felt good, looked good. Then in January around my 21st birthday I lost some weight - I'm not really sure how, but I did and was in a size 4 and people started commenting on how thin I was and I LOVED it!

Then I became a girlfriend again and over the next year and a half I gained ALOT of weight I was in the mid 150's! YIKES! Well once that relationship ended the weight started coming off again due to the lost love diet! Then something else started, I became bulimic. For some reason once the initial love diet wore off, I couldn't control my food intake, or lack there of, like I did in HS. So, the next best thing - purging! It's disgusting, but for some reason I found it fairly easy to do and it's so bad to say, but I enjoyed it. How GROSS is that?

This continued off and on up until my wedding 3.5 years later. And even after the wedding until I found out I was pregnant 3 weeks after our wedding. Needless to say I stopped IMMEDIATELY! And I haven't returned to my prior eating disorder behaviors to date. 

For these reasons I have a love-hate relationship with food. I love to eat it, but I hate how fat I am. And it's my fault I'm fat - I know nothing about food, I don't know what's good, I don't know what's bad (well obviously fast food), and I don't like food that's good for you. I need help! I need to learn to cook! I need a lesson in eating, cooking, and nutrition! I do however work out 3-5 times a week! I do step aerobics and toning at the Y over my lunch hour and now that the weather is warming up Jack and I have started running again! I can't imagine where I'd be if I didn't work out - SCARY thought!

Since I had my son in May 2009, I've found it increasingly difficult to maintain my weight, whether it was the 60 pounds I gained while pregnant (I'm dead ass serious), the fact that my Thyroid was removed when he was 5 months old, having a second baby, or that I was diagnosed in Fall 2012 as being pre-menopausal at 29 years old.   Let's just say I've been on this winding road for more than a few years and enough is enough!

This is where I'm starting, by laying it all out on the line and facing my FAT!

And this is my journey to being HEALTHY!

Love All You, Bitches! xoxo


9 comments :

  1. Thank you for sharing this story, Darci. You have been through a lot and I can see why you have a love/hate relationship with food. But I do know you are kicking arse with working out! I love that you are losing weight a healthy way this time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm tearing up reading this not that I'm offended by your post but by your honesty and bravery. I'm sorry that it's been so hard for you. Truth is it is hard. It so easy to just run through the drive through. Ive been there and i understand. And whats not to love about someone saying you look good. I love it when oeople say it, although i dont tealky believe it. I think there just being nice:( Girl if you need help I'll help ya out. Let me know:) meal planning being accountable whatever:) I'm here:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This....is why I absolutely love you! I relate to all of this....xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so awesome you are sharing your story! There are so many people that can relate to this in so many ways!! Good for you for giving all that up for your babies!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love reading your blog and I am so glad you shared your story!! I am sure it is hard to be so personal at times but I give props to you. You are AWESOME Darci!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow - you are proof that you have no idea what a person has been through and you should never judge until you do. I have read your blog for a little over a year, I think, and I don't know if I just missed it or what but I had no idea you had all those issues with food. I've never had experience with anorexia or bulimia but I am a food addict - I love food, I use it for comfort, when I'm sad - to celebrate when I'm happy - sometimes it consumes all my thoughts ... I had a "different" childhood than most so I turned to food when no one else was there ... and have never been able to break away from my horrible relationship with food ... We all have different journeys but we all have the same goal - to be HEALTHY!! I can tell one thing from reading your blog, you are a STRONG woman and you are a beautiful woman as well - I hope you find what works best for you and thank you for sharing your story with us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great post Darci!! It's crazy to think what weight does to our minds!! Thinking we need to go to such drastic measures to be skinny!
    Thanks for posting this!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So I am late to the game hot stuff because basically that is how I roll... anyways... I have been through all of these situations myself. Am I proud of it? No! But sharing it on my blog helped me so much! And it is such a brave thing to do! Love you and your sassy self and I am glad to see that you are in a much better place now! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW...I just want to send you as many virtual hugs as I can. You are truly amazing Darci!! You need to be so proud of the battles you have overcome. I know it doesn't ever truly go away, but you are doing things the right way and you are an absolutely beautiful person, inside and out!

    ReplyDelete