Friday, January 31, 2014

Say Whaaaaaaaat?!

Three Words: Gum. Tissue. Graft.

Say Whaaaaaat?!

Please tell me someone has heard of this?! No? Well until yesterday I hadn't either...but lucky for me I will get to experience not one, not two, but THREE gum tissue grafts in approximately three weeks time! Oy...

So here's the short story, I have GREAT teeth, but shit gums (who knew).  I went to a Periodontist yesterday who said, "Oh year, we need to do grafts...these are too far gone, you've already had bone loss and your roots are starting to show in a couple places..." Say Whaaaaaaaaat?! I guess you can't always have your cake and eat it too, I have nice ass teeth, like not one cavity in my adult teeth, but she said I have thin, weak gums and that little muscle thing that attaches your lip to your face I guess - well it's too short?!  I don't know, but basically that combo, along with getting Invisalign about 6 years back and shifting all my teeth was the perfect recipe for making sure I drop a GRAND PER TOOTH on this gum tissue graft BS (thank goodness for dental insurance, which will totally help with the cost)!


The procedure; they basically shave gum tissue from the roof of my mouth and then I guess graft, sew, glue, whatever the roof tissue to my gums.  I'm talking my bottom teeth, the two in the middle and then the one to the right.  It's all done under local anesthesia, even though I'd prefer to be knocked out, so I can drive myself there and drive myself home, picking up lots of high dosage narcotics on the way!  She did say that I'd be sore for 5-10 days, but that I wouldn't be sore at the graft site, but rather where they take the tissue from on the roof of my mouth!  I'm quoting this, "Have you ever burnt your mouth on like a hot piece of pizza?  Yeah, it's like that, but think 100 times worse!" Say Whaaaaaat?!

This shit storm is scheduled to go down on February 20th...until then, let's leave this as a to be continued...


9 comments :

  1. Maybe you won't be able to eat for awhile and it will improve your diet. Hahahaha. Hey, look at the positives?

    And no, never heard of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my god that sounds horrible! Eekkk good luck

    ReplyDelete
  3. YIKES!!!!!!!!!!! I will send some major positive vibes your way!! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG THAT SOUNDS HORRIBLE BOOGS!!! ugh

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh boy. They make it sounds worse than it is. Trust me, it's no bi deal. It will just feel like a pizza burn or something!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG, yikes! Yes, I've heard of it - my old boss was talking about getting it done. And I have a feeling one of these days my dentist will recommend I get it done, too. Can't wait to read all about it! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, my dentist told me I will have to do this in a couple of years. They never told me if it would hurt or not....that doesn't sound pleasant!!! :/ I'd want them to knock me the hell out too haha Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, my dentist told me I will have to do this in a couple of years. They never told me if it would hurt or not....that doesn't sound pleasant!!! :/ I'd want them to knock me the hell out too haha Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What?! That sounds AWFUL! I have bad gums, but I don't want to do THAT!!! I'm currently (supposed to be) doing a medicated rinse for my gums. I remember about once a week. (Supposed to be twice daily.) Oops. Now I might remember...

    ReplyDelete