Friday, August 16, 2013

It's A Cold Day In KS...

I'm not talking abut the weather, although it has been strangely cool this week here in KS!  I'm wearing a SWEATER and JEANS today!  WTH?!  This is August, right? 
 

I haven't talked much about exercise or running in the last couple weeks.  It started about 3 weeks ago after some long(er) training runs; my left hip and groin hurt SO bad.  Like walking was even a struggle.  In the past I would get some hip pain if my leg lengths were off, but after I'd go see my Chiropractor, Doc E, and get adjusted it would usually clear right up...not this time!  I ended up going to see an Ortho Sports Doctor and he diagnosed me with Hip Bursitis and gave me a Cortisone shot right into my hip - yeah, sucked balls!  The rest he said was muscular, I went over to PT where one of my good friends worked and she gave me an at home PT Regimen.  I did that and didn't run for about 2.5 weeks.  I ran a 5k last Saturday night and by the end my hip was definitely aggravated, but didn't feel horrible.  I got adjusted again on Monday and we decided I should do a couple miles T/Th and then get adjusted again Friday and see how everything was holding up.  Well, after Tuesday's lame ass 2 mile job I almost immediately knew I wasn't going to be running Thursday.

I saw Doc E this AM and we've come to the conclusion together that the real issue is more likely my IT Band - not my hip.  I am literally sore to the touch from my left ass cheek, down the outside of my hip all the way to my knee (with some pain on top of my thigh as well).  Then I have some pain/weakness right below my knee cap.  I asked point blank if I should stop running all together at this point, I totally already knew the answer, but sometimes you just have to hear it from someone else.  Doc E said that he doesn't make this recommendation often and that he hates when he has to, but that he wanted me to know that he really means it when he does, but yes - at this point he really thinks I need to take at least 2 weeks off with ZERO running, could be as much as 3 or even 4 weeks.  Basically, if I don't stop now and really let this thing heal it's going to continue to be an issue and become a bigger pain in my ass down the road.

This is where I'm at, unfortunately.  I will continue to do my PT over the next week and ice and stretch and BioFreeze until I'm blue in the face.  Week 2 he said we might start try a little work on the stationary bike, if I tolerate that then maybe the elliptical the following week, then eventually "some" treadmill work.  He made it very clear that it would be "some" - like maybe a mile to start out with.  FUCK!  There I said it, this is so annoying!

My main goals right now are to complete the 2 Tough Mudders I have coming up at the end September and end of October, as well as, run the Route 66 Half the end of November.  I can stand missing the 15k I already registered and paid for the first week of September - no biggie, but if I miss any of the other 3 I will be really disappointed! 

I guess I'm surrendering to the IT Band/Hip Pain Gods.  I'd rather take 2-4 weeks off now, then in another 2-3 months.

So, for now I will be sticking to my PT Regimen that looks a little like this...


I also found a ton of "Thirty Day Challenges" and just kind of picked and chose pieces from all of them and created my own "Tone-It-Up Thirty Day Challenge" - so I'll be incorporating most of this along with my PT stuff!  Yay!  But I sure am going to miss my cardio... insert sad face

 
Let's end this depressing shit on a bright note!  I got Jack all signed up for his first FUN RUN!  He is going to be SO excited, he always asks when he is going to get to run and get a medal so I can't wait to tell him!  Most of the fun runs around here are a mile, but this one is only half a mile so I thought it'd be perfect and of course...there are medals!

 xoxo


12 comments :

  1. Oh boo!!! That really sucks hon... I'm sorry!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry your hip is still bothering you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no. I'm so sorry. I feel your pain sort of:) keep doing those exercises they really do help. I hope your back up and running soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man, that stinks! Hopefully taking some time off will help it heal and you'll be back hitting the pavement in no time! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that's so crappy!! Take the time you need now, so that hopefully you'll heal up and won't need time later!! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally feel your pain. I hurt my IT band running (was out for a ten miler and it hit me at 8) about 5 weeks ago. I took 4 weeks off and then tried to run today. I'm miserable. I'm registered for my first half Labor Day weekend and was pacing around a 1:55 finish. Now it's more like a 2:30 finish most likely. It's so disappointing. And I've gained 6 pounds in 5 weeks so I'm pissed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally feel your pain. I hurt my IT band running (was out for a ten miler and it hit me at 8) about 5 weeks ago. I took 4 weeks off and then tried to run today. I'm miserable. I'm registered for my first half Labor Day weekend and was pacing around a 1:55 finish. Now it's more like a 2:30 finish most likely. It's so disappointing. And I've gained 6 pounds in 5 weeks so I'm pissed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awww, I'm sorry for the pain you have to go through :( but if anyone can get through it, it's you :) rest up, so you can smoke everyone later :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww boo! I'm soo sorry you have quit running. I hope everything clears up! I know how amazing Route 66 would be! Not going to lie I'm a little jealous your running that one, I've been wanting to run it for a while.

    YAY for Jack! He will be so excited! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah that sucks!! I hope the weeks off is exactly what you needed and you'll get back to running full force. I wanna do the challenge with you! When does it start?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so behind on reading blogs but wanted you to know that you are so inspiring...Hang in there and keep your chin up!!

    ReplyDelete